Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Revolutionary Road

How do you break free without breaking apart?


I've been wanting to go see Revolutionary Road for months, mostly because of my obsession with Kate Winslet, and furthermore, my obsession with the Kate-Leo reunion tour. But holy hell, I did not expect to walk out of the movie feeling like I needed to throw up. The entire movie was uncomfortable and tense, just waiting for the next horrible twist of suburban relationship agony. Just when the pang of "oh god I can't believe she just said that" faded, it was replaced with "sweet jesus how could he??!!".

I cried a ton, not just because it was sad, but because it was down right depressing.

I don't discourage anyone from paying their $8.50 (+ $4.00 popcorn) to go see this flick. The cinamatography was on point, Sam Mendes did a terrific job directing, the acting was amazing. But be prepared.

The sweetie and I left the movie theater and didn't really want to look at each other for fear of....crying? breaking out into a Kate-Leo fight? spontaneously ruining each others dream of acting? All of that mixed into one.

Sam, Kate, and Leo, thank you for teaching us a valuable lesson. Don't move to the suburbs. Stay in the city where it's happy and safe.


No comments: