Sunday, March 1, 2009

sunday morning

I found myself walking through the city pretty early this weekend. I forget how dead the streets are on Sunday mornings. No traffic, no street carts, no cabs. There was snow on the ground this morning that was pretty alarming. I swore to christ it was warm when I went to bed. Snow? Really? Here?

I've been finding a new path, elated with this new-found feeling of freedom. The enormity of possibilities, the wonderful plans for the future, the comfort of the present. I've found light that was hidden, light I never met before, and light I thought was extinguished along the way. But I'm finding more and more, that walking, running, or crawling down this path is just what I needed.

Painting a new canvas. Cleaning out an old closet. Meeting a new friend. Reconnecting with old hobbies. Tasting new martini's. Revisiting old restaurants. Finding the new me, remembering the fun, spontaneous old me.

I think it's easy to forget that life is supposed to be worth living. That we work incredibly hard so we can relax at the end of the day, knowing the world is better for it. That if we take ourselves too seriously we'll miss out on the best jokes, and that at the end of the day we should be happy. If not, we're doing it all wrong. Or maybe, we're just on the wrong path.

I've missed the aimless wander around the city, when the streets are bare and you're only left with fresh snow and rosy cheeks. I got lost in the hustle of everyday, lost in the work weeks, lost in the to-do list, lost in the arguments...

I'm excited for the city to come alive this spring. To grow fresh azalea's, to open new restaurants, to expose new faces. This year it feels like we're walking through it again, the city and I. Growing, coming alive, holding on to the old roots, finding new passion. Together. I just need to turn the corner, and walk.

Deep breath.

Good morning sunshine...

No comments: